In this step-by-step article, I will explain how to install Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) in VMware Workstation 12 Pro with Easy Install feature but you can also use VMware Player which is free. This tutorial also helps if you install Ubuntu 15.04 on physical hardware. If you are new to Ubuntu or you want to explore new features, It is very safe to install Ubuntu 15.04 as a virtual machine inside VMware Workstation.
VMware workstation and VMware Player are virtualization software at the desktop level. They allows to run multiple virtual machines on a physical machine. With Easy Install feature, Installing Ubuntu 15.04 as a VM (Virtual Machine) is very easy and straight forward. You can visit VMware product page for more information about the latest release for VMware Workstation and VMware Player.
What is Ubuntu Linux?
Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux distribution. Ubuntu is based on Debian but it uses a custom desktop user interface called “Unity”. The Ubuntu project has a focus on providing a solid desktop experience. It offers releases every six months, with a more stable LTS (long term support) release every two years. Ubuntu is easy to install and comes with a fairly complete set of applications installed by default including LibreOffice.
What’s New in Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet
- Systemd is now default boot and service manager. It initializes first when booting and handles loading of processes. In previous releases, Ubuntu used its own Upstart which is derived from init system.
- Unity 7.3 is the default desktop environment in Ubuntu 15.04. There have been a number of usability improvements.
- Linux kernel 3.19 comes with many improved graphics features and file system support. There are also improvements to inode locking which give benefits under heavy load.
- Local menus are now the default in Ubuntu 15.04. All applications use local menus rather than the global menu for the application with the focus but if you like global menu you can still switch back to it.
- Up-to-Date Applications such as Firefox 37 for web browser, Chromium 41, Pulseaudio 6, LibreOffice 4.4 for the office suite, Thunderbird 31.6, Nautilus 3.14.2 and many more.
- SSD Trim is now supported with Ubuntu 15.04 and later.
Update: You can also watch Install Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet in VMware Workstation 12 video tutorial below or keep continue reading the article.
Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet Installation Steps in VMware Workstation 12 Pro
1. Go to Ubuntu official website and download ubuntu 15.04 vivid vervet installation ISO media. In this article I will use Ubuntu 15.04 64-bit desktop edition.
2. Open VMware Workstation 12 and then click Create a New Virtual Machine.
3. I prefer going with custom(advanced) here because it gives me more options.
4. Click Next at Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility.
5. Browse to Ubuntu 15.04 vivid vervet installation ISO media that you’ve just downloaded from ubuntu website. Once you are done, VMware installer detects the media as Ubuntu 64-bit and Easy Install feature is now available for this installation.
6. In the Personalize Linux, Write your “Full name”, “User name” and “Password”.
7. Give a name and set location for your ubuntu virtual machine.
8. Set how many virtual CPU and cores you want to use. I want my ubuntu vm more powerful than default and I give 1 processor and 2 cores.
9. Specify how much memory can Ubuntu VM use. I set it as 2048 MB. You can adjust this setting according to your needs or physical resources that you have.
10. Select Use bridged networking. Virtual machine can access to an Ethernet network directly.
11. Click Next at the Select I/O Controller Types section.
12. Click Next to continue at Select a Disk Type section.
13. Click Next to create a new virtual disk for your virtual machine.
14. Specify how much disk space you want to use for Ubuntu VM. I set it as 50 GB. I also select Store virtual disk as a single file option. This option gives you more performance.
15. Click Next at Specify Disk File screen.
16. Select Power on this virtual machine after creation and then Click Finish.
17. When Ubuntu 15.04 Installation process begins, you just sit back and relax. Installer does its jobs automatically with VMware Workstation Easy Install feature.
18. After the installation, Ubuntu Vivid Vervet VM restarts and then you see first login screen. Here, login to your Ubuntu 15.04 virtual machine with user name and password that you specified in step.
Congratulations, you’ve just successfully installed Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet 64-bit Desktop edition in VMware Workstation 12. During the installation, open-vm-tools is also installed. So, you can use drag-and-drop file between host and guest operating system and automatic screen resolution adjustment features.
This tutorial was made for open source community. I hope this article is helpful for you. If you liked it or found useful, feel free to like or share it.