VMware announced the latest version of its desktop hypervisor product VMware Workstation Pro 12. VMware is also rebranding its VMware Workstation lineup and changing the VMware Workstation name to VMware Workstation 12 Pro.
About VMware Workstation Pro 12
Originally released in 1999, VMware Workstation is a Type 2 hypervisor that runs on a hosting operating system. It runs on top of either Windows or Linux. Workstation 12 Pro still supports up to 16 virtual CPUs, 8 TB disk files, 64 GB of RAM and 2 GB of graphics memory. VMware Workstation Pro enables technical professionals to develop, test, demonstrate, and deploy software by running multiple x86-based Windows, Linux, and other operating systems simultaneously on the same PC.
VMware Workstation 12 Pro takes virtualization to the next level with the broadest operating system support, rich user experience, a comprehensive feature set and high performance. VMware Workstation Pro is designed for professionals that rely on virtual machines.
VMware Workstation Pro 12 also added support for DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3, the sets of APIs needed for handling today’s demanding graphical workloads, especially for 3D applications.
VMware Workstation 12 Pro Key Features
- Run multiple operating systems simultaneously on the same PC.
- Create powerful virtual machines to run the most demanding applications.
- Create restricted virtual machines that can expire.
- Run VMware Workstation Pro as a server to share virtual machines with others.
VMware Workstation 12 Pro New Features
- Windows 10 Support: Run Windows 10 as a virtual machine.
- New Linux Operating Systems Support: Ubuntu 15.04, Fedora 22, CentOS 7.1, RHEL 7.1, Oracle Linux 7.1.
- Advanced Graphics: DirectX 10, OpenGL 3.3
- Performance improvements for suspending and resuming encrypted virtual machines.
- Support for 4K monitors with high resolution.
- Support for multiple monitors with different DPI settings.
- Echo cancellation for voice and video calls with Microsoft Lync and Skype.
- USB 3.0 support.
- Respect left-handed mouse setting on Windows host.
- Automatically suspend virtual machines upon host shutdown.
- NAT network configuration in Virtual Network Editor on Linux hosts.
Download VMware Workstation 12 Pro for Free
You can download the product for free from VMware official website.