This step-by-step tutorial shows you how to install Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) in VMware Workstation but you can also use VMware Player which is free. This tutorial also helps if you install Kubuntu 15.10 on physical hardware. If you are new to Kubuntu or you want to explore its new features, It is very safe to install Kubuntu 15.10 as a virtual machine inside VMware Workstation. Installing Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf as a VM is very similar to installing on physical hardware.
VMware workstation and VMware Player are virtualization softwares at the desktop level. They allow to run multiple virtual machines on a physical machine. You can visit VMware product page for more information about the latest release for VMware Workstation and VMware Player.
What is Kubuntu Linux?
Kubuntu is a free, user-friendly Linux distribution. Kubuntu is an official derivative of the Ubuntu operating system which uses KDE Plasma Desktop instead of the Unity graphical environment. It uses the same underlying system with Ubuntu. Every package in Kubuntu shares the same repositories as Ubuntu.
What’s New in Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf
Kubuntu 15.10 was released on 22 October 2015. It comes with Linux kernel 4.2, which was released only a couple of weeks ago. Kubuntu 15.10 comes with KDE Plasma 5, the next generation of KDE’s desktop has been rewritten to make it smoother to use while retaining the familiar setup. It also comes with KDE Applications 15.08 containing all your favorite apps from KDE, including Dolphin. Kubuntu 15.10 introduces stateless persistent network interface names and it is supported by critical security fixes, bug fixes and select app updates for 9 months.
Update: You can also watch How to Install Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) in VMware Workstation Step-by-Step video tutorial below or keep continue reading the article.
Kubuntu 15.10 Installation Steps in VMware Workstation
1. Go to Kubuntu official website and download Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf installation ISO media and save it to your computer. In this tutorial, I will use Kubuntu 15.10 32-bit edition.
2. Open VMware Workstation and then click Create a New Virtual Machine.
3. You can go with Typical (recommended) at Welcome to the New Virtual Machine Wizard screen.
4. Choose I will install the operating system later. Do NOT choose the second option, you mat get an error during the installation. So, be careful at this step.
5. Choose Linux as a Guest Operating System and choose Ubuntu version.
6. Give a name and set location for your Kubuntu 15.10 virtual machine files.
7. Specify how much disk space you want to use for Ubuntu VM. I set it as 60 GB. I also select Store virtual disk as a single file option. This option gives more performance to kubuntu virtual machine.
8. Click Customize Hardware.
9. Go to New CD/DVD and select Use ISO image file then browse to Kubuntu 15.10 installation ISO media.
10. Go to Network Adapter and select Bridged: Connected directly to the pysical network option.
11. Go to Display and un-check Accelerate 3D graphics then click Close.
12. Click Finish at Ready to Create Virtual Machine screen.
13. Click Power on this virtual machine at VMware Workstation screen.
14. Click Install Kubuntu at Kubuntu 15.10 welcome screen.
15. Click Continue at Preparing to install Kubuntu.
16. Select Guided – use entire disk option at Installation type. This option will use entire virtual disk for installation.
17. Click Continue to write the changes to the disks.
18. Choose your time zone and then click Continue.
19. Choose your keyboard layout and then click Continue.
20. Write your full name, pick a username, set your password and set hostname for Kubuntu 15.10 and then click Continue to begin the installation.
21. Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) installation process takes approximately 5-10 minutes.
22. After the installation is complete, click Restart Now.
23. At KDE Plasma login screen, type user name and password that you specified in step 20.
Congratulations, you’ve just successfully installed Kubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) in VMware Workstation. After the installation, I recommend you to install VMware tools for better performance and usability. You can use drag-drop file and automatic screen resolution adjustment features, if you install open-vm-tools. VMware recommends open-vm-tools whenever possible.
I hope this Kubuntu 15.10 installation tutorial is helpful for you. If you liked it or found useful, feel free to like or share it. Any questions or comments or suggestions are welcomed!